Summers get hot and when your air conditioner isn’t working properly it can affect your family’s comfort and health. Finding smaller problems early on prevents expensive repairs when your air conditioner stops working all together on the hottest day of the year.
Signs Your Central Air Conditioner Needs Repair or Replacement
1. AC blows warm air. Your air conditioner has a job and it’s not to make you look cool. It’s to keep your family comfortable when the summers months are upon you. If you find warm air coming out of the vents on a hot summer day, you will need to call a technician.
2. Weak air flow problems. Warm air can be a sign, but so can weak air flow. The air might be cold but isn’t circulating through the home very well. This is an indication that the compressor may be failing or there are issues with the ducts.
3. Thermostat is not working. The thermostat might be having a hard time generating and taking measurements. If f it runs for short periods of time or it won’t turn on, you may have an issue with the thermostat. A technician can look at the components to figure out what’s going on
4. AC smells bad. Your air conditioner should not smell bad. A pungent smell can indicate there’s a problem with the wire insulation inside the unit. A musty smell can indicate mold in the ductwork. These problems can make your family sick and need to be addressed.
5. AC making noise inside unit. Your AC will make some noise, but you should never hear squealing, scraping or grinding. This indicates a problem inside the unit that can become worse without repair.
6. Air conditioner humidity problems. Your AC unit also works to lower the humidity levels in your home. If you are finding higher levels of humidity in your home when the AC is running, you will need to have it looked at.
7. Air conditioner leaking water or refrigerant. Any moisture leaking in your home is an issue, especially if it’s refrigerant. Water can begin to leak when the removal of condensation is blocked, and ice can also form on the copper refrigerant line.
8. High electric bill due to air conditioner. If you open your utility bill to find it has spiked without a corresponding bump in how much you’re running it, you need to call for service because there are many reasons this is happening.
9. Frequent air conditioning repairs. If you have had three or four service calls in just a few months, you are throwing your money away. It’s time to buy a newer, more efficient model.
10. Old air conditioner. Air conditioners that last for 10 years are at the end of their lifespan. If your AC has been working for 10+ years, you should start looking for a new one.